[K12OSN] option-128 and option-129 in dhcpd.conf

Dean Mumby dean at mumby.co.za
Thu Feb 10 17:25:09 UTC 2005

Jim McQuillan wrote:

>Rob,
>
>option-129 is used to pass command-line arguments to the kernel during
>the boot process.  This is ONLY when using Etherboot to load the kernel.
>
>And, Etherboot will ignore option-129, unless option-128 contains the
>special value of 'e4:45:74:68:00:00'.
>
>Most of the time, you don't need to pass any special arguments to the
>kernel.  But, if you have an ISA network adapter, you'll need to tell
>the kernel about it, so that the proper driver module can be loaded.
>So, you'll see things like:
>
>    option option-128   e4:45:74:68:00:00;
>    option option-129   "NIC=ne IO=0x300";
>
>That will inform the kernel that you want to load the ne2000 network
>driver module, and the IO address is 0x300.
>
>Some cards, like the 3com 3c509 don't require the IO parameter.
>
>Again, the above parameters are only used for Etherboot, and it really
>doesn't matter whether you are booting from an etherboot floppy or an
>etherboot bootrom.
>
>For PCI network cards, we don't need to pass these parameters, because
>the kernel+initrd can scan the PCI bus and discover the PCI card, and
>then it does a lookup in a table, to see which module to load.
>
>That's why I consider a minimum LTSP thin client to be anything with a
>PCI bus.  It's just so much easier than dealing with old ISA stuff.
>
>Jim McQuillan
>jam at Ltsp.org
>

>On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Rob Owens wrote:
>

>>What do these 2 lines do?  I've seen write-ups that say to comment them out if you're booting from a floppy, but I'd like to know what their purpose is.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>-Rob

Jim do you by any chance know anything about he other option available
specifically the ones to create a boot menu from dhcp I have followed
the mandrake-dos-ltsp howto and even though very little of it worked I
am now able to boot a thin client into ltsp or dos. but i have to set it
up for each client. I am using pxe booting and then bootstrapping
etherboot after it . None of the instructions have worked I never see a
menu . I did find that i have to use option.pxemagic  but that has not
worked either. Does anyone have a working config for a boot menu ?

Regards
Dean

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.