[K12OSN] Ldap + smb auth?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Feb 11 16:04:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 08:27, Burroughs, Henry wrote:

> Quickest route would be to setup winbindd (part of Samba) on your
> K12LTSP server, which would allow you to authenticate using the users
> and groups in ::shudder:: Active Directory.
>
> The one warning I can give is with Active Directory Ids-> UID mappings.

Has anyone tried using LDAP for everything but authentication?  That is,
add winbindd or smb authentication to the PAM setup so when local or
LDAP authentication fails it will check the password against the
domain controller.  That should let you control uid's and home directory
mapping in LDAP without the issue of having to maintain another copy
of everyone's password (if you already have them in a domain
controller).  I'm doing local+smb now, but have to create the accounts
I want on each machine and I could switch to LDAP easily if the
passwords could still come from the domain controller.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com