[K12OSN] 2nd Try: Student Presentations at NECC 2005 / Volunteers Needed for K12LTSP Email Garden

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 17:36:30 UTC 2005

(Still looking...)

Paul Nelson has, in past years, taken a group of students to the
National Educational Computing Conference (NECC) to help set up and
maintain an "Email Garden" which demonstrates the use of K12LTSP.
This year the conference is in Philadelphia from June 27 - 30, and
Paul is not able to go.  I have offered to bring the server and
workstation hardware, but we are looking for a schoool that might want
to have students prepare presentations to be given in a mini-classroom
in the Email Garden, as well as come and help with setup, maintenance,
and answering questions.

The presentations would likely be demonstrations of Open Source
programs used as a part of a K12LTSP installation, ranging from simple
OpenOffice how-to's to the use of more complicated technologies, like
MySQL and PHP.  Typically, Paul has brought 4 - 8 students, who might
have some of their expenses covered by NECC and/or other companies,
but will likely need to raise their own travel funds (or have them
provided by the school).  He has had success in having the students
prepare in advance, and then being selected to go based on that
preparation.

It seems to us that this would be most successful if there were a
school on the East Coast where there is a committed teacher that we
could work with on this.  We have told NECC that we would let them
know in two weeks if a school is interested in participating in this
way so that they can try to make the right classroom space available
for the teaching.  If you are interested, please make contact with me
directly.

Thanks!

Steve
--