[K12OSN] Way to block spyware with content filter?

Jimmy Schwankl schwankl at chatham.k12.nc.us
Thu Feb 17 15:27:42 UTC 2005

Hey y'all,

I had this idea.  I don't know if it would work, but I don't know why
it wouldn't.  And if it does, it could eliminate a lot of the time you
have to spend removing ad/spyware.

Spybot Search and Destroy has an immunize feature that when activated
says it is blocking some number of bad websites silently in IE.

My idea was to look through the spybot files to see if  I could find
this blacklist.  Then add those URL's to our content filter's
blacklist.  That way everyone in the school district is "immunized"
without a tech having to install Spybot S+D on every Windows PC.  I
keep blowing the Linux horn, but we still have a lot of Windows
machines.

I'm not in charge of the content filter, so I can't test this. The guy
who is in charge thought it should work, but hasn't had time to put in
the list I sent him.

If anyone wants to give it a try, the lists are available here:

http://www8.chatham.k12.nc.us/schwankl/blacklists/index.html

The Company URL list may block some sites just because they use
tracking cookies.  You may want to remove those (like excite.com) The
Product URL list is probably more specifically dialers, hijackers, and
adware/spyware.

What do people think?  Will it work?

Peace,
Jimmy Schwankl
Chatham County Schools

**This message was sent from the Chatham County Schools Mail Server**
*****All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to
the North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring
and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.*****