[K12OSN] dhcpd and tftp

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Feb 18 19:07:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 09:21, Rob Owens wrote:
> I'll try swapping the NIC tonight.  My only other
> option for a dhcp server is my Linksys router.

One quirky thing can happen if your switch is slow to activate
a port due to the time it takes to go though spanning-tree
negotiations.  If timing is just right (wrong?) the client
may do its dhcp request while the switch port is down, then
time out and reset its own NIC before the retry, triggering
the switch to run spanning tree again.  You can usually tell
if this is happening by watching the switch port lights - or
plug the client directly into the server nic with a crossover
cable to test. If you have a managed switch you may be able
to set the port to forward during negotiations.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com