[K12OSN] Printing problems

Jim Christiansen christiansen_j at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 22 23:03:49 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

I've been having a problem with printing on our 4.2 system.  I have two
HP2300 printers -networked Jet-directs that will print reliably for a couple
of days then just quit.  Users who log on don't have these printers
available in their printer list.  Just "Generic Printer" shows up...  While
the printers are lost from the selection, cups can not be accesed through
the web interface at localhost:631/admin.

After a service cups restart everything seems to be normal again.  After the
restart, there are no pending jobs.  Users who had Generic Printer have the
two printers once again listed to choose from next time they log on.

This seems to happen every day or two.  Does anyone have any similar
troubles?

This could be due to our losy network not being able to find the pinters
sometimes because of disconnectivity??  I'm almost ready to write a cron job
to do a cups restart every hour!