[K12OSN] Possible TeacherTool alternative or future path

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Feb 23 21:45:54 UTC 2005

Below is a snip from a thread on ltsp-discuss regarding control of
terminals.  Just thought it interesting given the recent problem with
vnc-reflector on Fedora Core 3.  But I don't know if there is a
non-German version.

> To make it clear(?): there are 17 terminals connected to the server.
> 16 pupils and one teacher. the teacher wants to be able to look at all

> of the pupils screens, but the pupils must not see the teachers
> screen. Beeing able to manipulate the pupils workstation would be
> nice, too.

I've written exactly for this a tool named "vnc-eye" - perhaps you
understand a little bit of german, so you can look at my site
http://www.linux-in-der-schule.de/vnc-eye

The features are:
getting the screen of pupils-client to the teachers screen --> the
teacher can manipulate the screen of the pupil
you can send the teachers screen to all (or only some of them) the
pupils screens
you can send x-messages to the pupils screens (e.g. "shut up ;-)" ) you
can switch of the screens of the pupils (the monitor will be blank)

To use all of these features, the teacher have to sit in front of the
terminalserver, because I use the rfb-server (it's very fast) and this
tool have to work at the machine you are working. at.

Kind regards
Dieter