[K12OSN] Dhcp problem still....

Nathan Sinton nsinton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 22:21:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:01:17 GMT, cliebow at downeast.net
<cliebow at downeast.net> wrote:
> if you want me to ssh in and take a look around...i can latyer..chuck
> >
> > > when you replaced the NIC's did redhat's hardware detection tool "kudzu"
> > > run?
> > >
> > Well Nathan and Chuck....right now I'm on somewhere around try number 10
> million
> > :-( Yes...kudzu runs most of the time during these changes...I delete the old
> > configurations and configure the new ones but the settings on the network tab
> > don't always correspond with the additions and subtractions! I'm at my
> wits end
> > and getting ready to do a fresh install I think...just got to check the
> wiki and
> > see how to get the home dirs onto another location temporarily......this is
> > beginning to look like a 'beer and pizza' operation!! I'll keep you
> posted...the
> > funny thing is that when both cards are in, ifconfig looks fine with no
> errors
> > or drops or anything....I'm going to give it one more go around and then I'm
> > giving up and doing a new install.....J
> >
> > John T. Leonard
> > Technology Coordinator
> > MSAD No. 41
> > Penquis Valley HS/MS
> > 48 Penquis Drive
> > Milo, Maine 04463
> > Ph:207-943-7346 Ext.211
> > Ph:207-943-5332
> > Fax:207-943-0962

Just one last suggestion, take a look in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/  you should have some files named
ifcfg-eth0, ifcfg-eth1, etc...  an "ls -l" of mine (redhat 8, one
network card) looks like this:

[nsinton at crunch network-scripts]$ ls -l
total 176
-rw-r--r--        3 root     root          172 Sep  8 15:36 ifcfg-eth0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           22 Sep  7 10:44 ifcfg-lo ->
../networking/ifcfg-lo
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Sep  7 10:44 ifdown ->
../../../sbin/ifdown

kudzu has a bad habit of doing weird things like making network cards
like eth0:1

One last thought, you might want to remove the eth0 from DHCPDARGS= in
/etc/sysconfig/dhcpd.  It should pick an interface on it's own if that
is absent.