[K12OSN] What antivirus software is being used on K12

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Feb 23 22:57:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 03:29:43AM -0800, Rob Owens wrote:
> That said, I would like to have a utility similar to
> Sygate Personal Firewall for Windows which alerts you
> anytime a program tries to access the internet.  Is
> there such a thing for Linux?  Sygate Personal
> Firewall would stop the traffic, ask me if it's ok to
> proceed, and tell me which program was trying to
> connect to what website/ipaddress.

I've not used it, since I have a router with a built-in firewall
(which can be manipulated via a web interface), but KDE has this:

  http://kmyfirewall.sourceforge.net/

  "KMyFirewall attempts to make it easier to setup IPTables based
  firewalls on Linux systems.  It will be the right tool if you like to
  have a so called "Personal Firewall" running on your Linux box, but
  don't have the time and/or the interest to spend hours in front of the
  IPTables manual just to setup a Firewall that keeps the "bad" people
  out."

as well as:

  http://www.fwbuilder.org/

  "Firewall Builder is a multi-platform firewall configuration and
  management system. It consists of a GUI and set of policy compilers
  for various firewall platforms. It helps users maintain a database of
  objects and allows policy editing using simple drag-and-drop
  operations. The GUI and policy compilers are completely independent,
  this provides for a consistent abstract model and the same GUI for
  different firewall platforms. It currently supports iptables,
  ipfilter, ipfw, OpenBSD pf and Cisco PIX."

and:

  http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/

  "Guarddog is a firewall configuration utility for Linux systems. It
  is aimed at two groups of users. Novice to intermediate users who are
  not experts in TCP/IP networking and security, and those users who
  don't want the hastle of dealing with cryptic shell scripts and
  ipchains/iptables parameters."

I hope that helps!

--
-bill!