[K12OSN] [OT] Hosting your school's website off DSL

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Feb 24 14:17:59 UTC 2005

> Is anyone hosting their main website off of their DSL connections?
>
> I've got 2 782kbs DSL lines currently (which is pretty darn
> close numerically to a T1's bandwith), and I am considering
> moving my main website internally (it is hosted offsite).  I
> will have a proxy/caching system in place to cut down on much
> of the bandwith usage from the inside to the outside.  Any
> recommendations, success stories, or failures?  Thanks!

I also have a company that does web/email hosting.  I have about 35
domains running off a single 768k DSL line right now and the speeds are
fine.  But I also have a matched 768k upload speed, just make sure your
upload is right with your download speed.  I think you should be fine
with a single site and 2 lines.  And typically your web traffic won't
increase until everyone goes home from school.  So you heavy traffic to
the site won't come when you have heavy internet surfing traffic.

My 2 cents.