[K12OSN] Custom XF86Config

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Feb 25 15:04:51 UTC 2005

> Your custom config file goes in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc
>
> When the client boots, it copies your custom file to /tmp on
> the client, which is a ramdisk, so it's only visible to the client.
>
> When the copy is made, it's clled 'XF86Config.1', because if
> you have multiple SCREEN_xx lines setup, each one will have
> it's own config file.
>
> You can make sure that /tmp/XF86Config.1 is the same as your
> custom file, by setting:
>
>     SCREEN_01 = startx
>     SCREEN_02 = shell
>
> Then, once X is up and running, hit Ctrl-Alt-F2, and switch
> to the text screen, and take a look at /tmp/XF86Config.1 using 'more'.

Thanks again.  I set SCREEN_01 = shell since X always crashes at this
point.  Then startx manually.  The XF86Config.1 file is created, and I
check with more and it has the right stuff.  But it still won't fire up.
So now I am scrolling through /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see where my
errors are.  Hopefully I'll be able to post back with some positive
progress.

Thanks for the help. At least now I have a decent troubleshooting path.