[K12OSN] one more time

Sharon Betts sbetts at msad71.net
Mon Feb 28 18:13:14 UTC 2005

Hi Petre,
	I am grateful for all your thoughts and help.  I have answered your
questions below.
In short -- I want to add a linux applicaiton server to an existing
windows network to serve GIMP, SCRIBUS, STAR OFFICE etc.

>It sounds like you have several projects rolled into one here. ;-)
>1. Get LTSP server to use Windows server for authentication.
>2. Get LTSP server to mount users' homedirs that live on Windows server.
>3. Get LTSP server to print to same printers as Windows server.
>4. Get rdesktop working on LTSP server so users can access apps on Win
>server.
>5. Allow Windows clients to run apps from LTSP server (?).
 Sure

>I wasn't sure if #5 was something you had in mind or not.
  Yes, to minimize the winders TS cals needed.

>As to the
>first four items, they're listed in order of decreasing difficulty, but
>probably in the order you need to get things working in order to pull
>this transition off.  And I may be incorrect about #1; are you running
>Active Directory on the Windows server?
Yes, running Active Directory.

>Or are the Windows clients just
>using local authentication (info which is then passed to the Windows
>server when a user connects to his/her home directory on the Windows
>server)?  The users care about #2, getting to their files.  You care
>about #1 because it may affect how you handle #2.  Others may have
>tackled automatically mounting Windows shares on the LTSP server
>(anyone?), but I haven't.
>
>With #3, are the printers all connected directly to the network (they
>each have their own ethernet jack) or are they connected to a computer
>which is then connected to the network?
Both.

> In either case, defining the
>printers on the LTSP server is fairly easy and can be done via cups or
>webmin.  I would avoid using the print queues on the Windows server as
>it's unnecessary and just makes the LTSP server dependent on the Windows
>server.
>
>#4 is just a matter of installing rdesktop on the LTSP server.  Seems to
>me someone on the list once described setting up icons for users that
>called rdesktop and specific apps on the Windows server.
>
>So, if you can clarify #1--that is, do you want the Windows server,
>where you presumably have all the user IDs and PWs stored, to handle the
>user authentication for the LTSP server so that you only have to
>maintain one user store, and is the Windows server running AD--then we
>can try to figure out what you need to do there, which should then
>dovetail into #2.  HTH.

Yes to both of these.  We are running Windows DHCP.

Sharon
MSAD#71 Director of Educational Technology
sbetts at msad71.net          http://www.msad71.net     207-985-1100
"To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
Robert Orben