[K12OSN] one more time

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Feb 28 19:34:20 UTC 2005

Do you want to just provide those apps--Gimp, StarOffice, etc.--to the
Windows clients, but from a central server so you don't have to install
them on each individual Windows client machine?  Or do you also want to
setup linux thin clients?  These are not mutually exclusive, but they're
different problems/projects (both of which should be fun).

Re-reading your message, it sounds like the former is your first
priority.  To run Linux X-based apps on Windows clients you'll need to

1. Get the linux server to use the Windows AD for authentication when a
client connects.  Have a look at David Trask's  smbldap installer
script.  There has been much discussion of it in the past few weeks.  I
think it's geared more for OpenLDAP than AD but I don't think that
should be a show stopper.

2a. Install an X server on the Windows boxes.  The X-LiveCD allows you
to run the CygWin X server from a CD, and it also has an option to
install the X server on the Windows machine (the installer has a few
bugs regarding the icons and menu choices it's supposed to add, but the
actual X server installs without problems).  If you're trying to get to
the point of users just clicking on an icon and having it automatically
connect to the Linux app server and loading the Gimp, say, you'll have
to setup encryption keys with SSH & putty, and use those to
automatically launch the apps.  I haven't done this, but it's an
interesting problem; but it may require more effort than step 2b below.

OR

2b. Install VNC client on each Windows client, and have the users launch
that to connect to the Linux app server.  This route doesn't provide the
click-on-icon-and-app-magically-appears aspect that may be possible with
2a, but it would be easier to setup.  However, make sure your Linux box
is big--that is, LOTS of memory, fast CPUs--because now it will have to
support a whole desktop environment for each user rather than just an
application or two.

Anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Petre