[K12OSN] SquidGuard and Proxy Questions

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Tue Jan 4 13:42:25 UTC 2005

So your saying the K12LTSP box is also the gateway?  *me shivers*
Generally speaking (in my experience) if you're doing transparent proxying
the proxy server needs to be at the "choke" point of the network....in
other words right behind the router or acting as the router.

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tue Jan  4 2005 at 00:00 +0000 wrote:
>On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 20:30, David Trask wrote:
>> tlegge at rogers.com on Monday, January 3, 2005 at 9:01 PM +0000 wrote:
>> >1) It does not seem possible to use transparent proxying without using
>> >second machine for the proxy server.
>>

>> Not only possible...I'm doing it.  I run an SME server with proxy,
>> transparent proxying....running DansGuardian.  Works fantastic!
>
>Errr, isn't that a 2nd machine?  I think the question was about
>running it on the k12ltsp server which also happens to be where
>the client browsers run.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School