[K12OSN] {Spam?} Opportunity

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Jan 6 15:29:32 UTC 2005

As to being brave and inviting someone from the audience to PXE boot their
laptop, I'd advise against it unless you've done it successfully beforehand,
because if it doesn't work, it will be embarrassing, as Calvin suggests.

Related anecdote: Years ago I worked at a company that made monitoring equipment
and software used for quality control.  One of our sales reps was making a pitch
to the makers of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  At the meeting with the customer
there were several people from the candy company including people in charge of
producing and controlling quality for the candy. When you're making millions of
something, even the slightest deviations can add up to substantial amounts of
money. The sales rep showed them a case of the PB cups he'd gone out and
purchased the night before, opened it up and took one of the PB cups and put it
on a scale.  It weighed exactly what it was supposed to.    Anyway, the rep
pulled out another PB cup, weighed it, and it too was right on target.  So, the
production people in the room were looking pretty smug.  Then the rep pulled out
another cup: ooh, it was a couple of milligrams over what it should have been.
He pulls out another: it was several milligrams overweight, meaning the
manufacturer is giving more candy than they thought.  This went on for a few
more cups, some overweight, some underweight.  Then the rep pulled back the
curtain: the night before he had gone through the whole box of candy and weighed
all the PB cups and then put them back in the bo, glued it shut, such that he
could test them "out of the box" exactly in the order that he wanted in order to
get the maximum effect.  He got the sale.  The point is, like a trial lawyer,
don't ask a question you don't already know the answer to.  In a demo, don't try
equipment unless you already know it works.

Petre