[K12OSN] printing quotas...I need a solution

Huck dhuckaby at paasda.org
Thu Jan 6 18:14:20 UTC 2005

I use PyKota..and it rocks...was simple to install...works with LDAP as
well as postgresql db's....
great support...and it's cheap to pay for =)
Jerome is very open to ideas and replies with solutions that usually
include 'as mentioned in the documentation' =)

the only drawback I noticed is 2 days ago I added a color laser printer
to a lab...
price per page is $00.50...
all students allowed to print on other printers 100 pages per
quarter(black'n'white)...
so I was using 'page quota'(page count) instead of 'account
balance'(dollar amount)
In order to charge the 50cents per page on the color printer I have to
use 'account balance'
But...the 'account balance' is per user...not per printer...thus... I
give $1.00 when they start the quarter...
they can print the 100 sheets on a black/white or...they can print twice
on the color =)
if they print twice on the color they can no longer print on the black
and white =(
It would be better(not easier to code I'm sure) if each individual had
account balances on each printer.

And over Xmas vacation, a contributor coded up a web-based account
management tool available here:

 http://opensource.psu.ac.th/~kanakorn/mambo/

I will say that if you are using Debian it's a much easier install and you get
some more nifty bells and whistles like the 'onscreen quota' thing...
see last screenshot on this page:

http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/PyKota/ScreenShots/action_ScreenShots

It's been a blessing in any effect.

--Huck