[K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.2.0 Samba Yum Question

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Mon Jan 10 23:49:41 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 17:17 -0500, Mark Orenstein wrote:
> If I uninstall samba and reinstall from the samba.org rpm, will I have any
> later problems with yum updates?

Probably, if a Fedora update ever supersedes your samba.org RPM. The
samba.org one is monolithic, IIRC, whereas the Fedora one splits into
samba, samba-common, -client, -swat, etc, causing a conflict that rpm
can't resolve if you try to upgrade from one to the other. You could add
an exclusion for samba to your yum.conf.

Any reason for using the samba.org RPM instead of the Fedora supplied
version? 3.0.10 is current and available for FC3/K12LTSP4.2.0 via the
Fedora updates yum repository.

Seems like someone is getting into this jam fairly frequently, using 3rd
party RPMs. Caveat emptor, if you're using something that isn't from
Fedora or the forthcoming Fedora Extras, particularly where it overlaps
w/ existing packaged software.

--
Dan Young <dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us>
Parkrose School District