[K12OSN] K12LTSP sits at the Grown-Up Table

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Tue Jan 11 01:53:50 UTC 2005

Starting this weekend we will be showing the world, sort of, just how
ready the LTSP, as packaged in the form of the K12LTSP, is for
enterprise computing.  You see, in organizing our fundraiser disguised
as a conference

http://www.tposscon.com

I approached a venerable organization, the PTC, about promoting us.  As
it turns out, they really wanted to use Linux for the Email Garden this
year.  As a result, they have provide our volunteer group Sponsorship
status for providing 30 clients.  We pay nothing, we make nothing, but
the PR seems special.

The kind of people who will be using them are

http://www.ptc.org/PTC05/sponsor/sponsor_list.html

Admittedly this is not the audience we all care about with respect to
improving education.  However, the awareness and the resources must come
from somewhere, and we intend to plant seeds of change with the
delegates.  If one of these companies is from your state, perhaps this
can ultimately lead to support of your respective community as they
better appreciate the "value proposition" of Linux, OSS, and thin-client
computing.

I of course invited Jim and Eric and Warren (fedora), but schedules do
not permit.  We will be printing out flyers, though, and I am eager to
voice our collective words, if possible.

Using the K12ltsp and the LTSP logos, does anyone care to take a crack
at creating a page for the flyer that would effectively communicate what
we are all doing with Linux?

Technically speaking, we will be using 4.1.1.  The list's own Steve
Hargadon is loaning us the server to add redundancy to the loaned Sun
amd64 box we have.

To Do

1. Each computer will auto login.
2. Each computer will have reduced icons
3. Each computer will have a web browser icon on the desktop, and we
will set the default page to their Outlook Exchange Server.
4. We need to have some logos randomly appear as screen savers.

Is there any reason to believe, once I get started on these tweaks, that
we will have trouble doing this with 4.1.1?  Has anyone done this that
will help?

I am starting with this information

http://www.brlug.net/pipermail/ltsp_brlug.net/2004-October/000014.html

http://www.litwiller.net/kiosk_browser/

http://k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/GDMKiosKMode

http://k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/AutoLogin

Your suggestions and help are needed.  I am at your service in making
this meaningful for all of us.

aloha

--scott

--