[K12OSN] BackupPC (a complement to it, g4u)

Daniel Hedblom daniel.hedblom at skola.solleftea.se
Tue Jan 11 20:21:38 UTC 2005

Since BackupPC doesnt do full restores i thought id give a tip about
something that can be a useful complement to it.

G4u or "ghost for unix" is an excellent imager for those workstation or
servers that just have to be get up and running in a couple of minutes
after a crash, or that strange setup that took a week to get to run
properly.

g4u is two BSD based boot disks that recognize most nics, atleast everyone
i have used it on. It makes a gzipped full archive of either the full disk
or individual partitions. The best of all and this is where it shines
compared to every other product i have tried, it backs up and restores
from your simplest of simple normal ftp server. This means you can do a
backup over a *DSL connection. Any standard ftp server will do just fine,
not a single modification is needed besides creating an account. It
handles every single filesystem and partition. I have restored 17
computers at once over a 100 mbit network and it took about 15 minutes.

http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

Its worth a try at the very least.

/daniel