[K12OSN] BackupPC

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Tue Jan 11 20:31:44 UTC 2005

> Ah, you too Mark?
> I've just found the 'unstable' repositories for the debian system I
> setup yesterday so am 'apt-get install backuppc' as I type...
> I do find the documentation rather daunting on setting up host and
> clients...
> Any chance you could wiki your work? I'll be logging my activities as
> well... hopefully we can reduce the fear the documentation instills.
>
> --Huck

Really, Huck, I didn't do anything.   I read the documentation, line by
line, and filled in the values for my network.  The vast majority of our
systems are Windows, so I just used the SMB option and listed the
machines I wanted to back up in the host file.  I haven't tackled the
Linux machines yet, but that's only because I don't even know how to
share files on a Linux machine without Samba.  Once I figure out the
whole rsync thing (I honestly don't even know what that is), I'll tackle
that aspect of BackupPC.  But, if I only ever use it for my
Windows/Samba servers it's still an amazing product, and you can't beat
the price.

C-ya,
Mark
____