[K12OSN] BackupPC (a complement to it, g4u)

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Jan 11 21:56:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 15:43, David Trask wrote:
> I'm curious...will it handle RAID?  I have a server (Samba/LDAP) that I
> need a better backup system for and would like to do a bare metal backup
> (in other words...be able to make an image of the entire thing) that can
> restore from in the event of a catastrophe.  BUT I need the RAID
> partitions and so forth to go back to where they were....will it do it?

Nothing is going to do RAID at the lowest hardware level where you
configure which drives are part of which volume.  The point of
the hardware is to hide that from everything else. However, you
should be able to do an image copy of the partitions as seen
by the OS and restore them back to another partition that you
have created of exactly the same size.  But, it's not that much
harder to work with a file based backup that you can restore
anywhere you want.  By the time you need to replace your server
you'll want something newer, bigger, and faster, not an exact
replacement of the one that was old enough to die.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com