[K12OSN] BackupPC

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Wed Jan 12 00:19:15 UTC 2005

> How do you handle outlook.pst files since they cant be backed up while
> open. Also with windows xp machines it is not so easy to give the
> correct permissions to access each users profile dir in doc & settings
> without opening there work to the world ?
>
> Regards
> Dean

I don't touch Outlook (shivers).  While I don't disallow it, I consider
it an "unsupported application", which means that anyone who chooses to
use it is on their own for backups.  As for the user profiles, Windows
NT domains have a special user group called "Backup Admins" that have
read (but not execute) access to everything.  So, the user set up in the
BackupPC config can grab a copy of everything. At least, I haven't found
anything yet that was a problem.

--

C-ya,
Mark