[K12OSN] OT: best distro for laptop

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Jan 13 15:55:52 UTC 2005

I second the vote for Xandros.  I've got Mandrake 9.x on a Dell Latitude (CPx, I
think), which I installed about a year and a half ago.  It works fine with the
Cisco wireless card I have, but I could never get it to work with any others
like SMC, D-Link or some Realktek-based cards.  On two other Dells (a CPx and a
CPi) I put Xandros on, and it has seen every card I put in (be sure you do the
Update System under Xandros Networks).  And it has a nice graphical indicator of
the how much charge is left in the battery.  I'd switch the Mandrake to Xandros,
but it's my wife's laptop and since it's not broken, she won't let me fix it. ;-)

I haven't looked at Mandrake 10 yet--I have the disks, I'm a long-time Mandrake
Club member,just haven't had the time--so it may have gotten better about
detecting various wireless cards.  But I also think, for a non-technical newbie
such as you sister, the Xandros Network tool, which provides a
click-and-install-it software service (most packages are free, but there are
some you have to sign up for their pay-service to get), is a real gem.  And I
think the Xandros file manager is the best bar none, as it automatically finds
all Windows shares AND NFS shares.

And it's Debian-based.

Petre