[K12OSN] OT: best distro for laptop

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Jan 13 16:04:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 05:04, Rob Owens wrote:
> I'm asking this off-topic question because I trust the opinions of those on this list.  The laptop in question is my sister's.  It's currently dual-booting Windows XP and Mandrake 10.0, but the wireless config under Windows ate itself.  If I can get wireless working under Linux, that's what she'll use.  Mandrake is on there just because it's my default choice, but I'm open to anything.
>
> In particular I'm looking for good power management tools.  If the distro comes standard with them, great.  Or if somebody could recommend an add-on package that will work w/ Mandrake or something else, that would be great too.  I'd like perhaps to have an ever-present battery monitor.  What else is important?  (I don't own a laptop myself, so I don't really know what to ask for).

The distributions tend to leapfrog each other, so the 'best' is likely
to be whoever has the most recent release.  I'd try FC3 first (or
install from the k12ltsp 4.2 set) and only switch if it is missing
something you really need.  Gnome has battery monitor applet and a wifi
signal monitor you can add to the task bar - I haven't looked at the
other WM's.  If you already work with k12ltsp/fedora you'll only have to
find one repository for extra stuff and updates.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com