[K12OSN] OT: best distro for laptop

Ron Freidel rfreidel at computergeex.com
Thu Jan 13 21:31:35 UTC 2005

If fast updates are what you are looking for I don't think there is a distro any faster than Arch Linux.

The installer may not have all the bells and whistles of one of the larger distro's, but the package manager is close to being my favorite linux package manager, and you can't beat the name of it either.

When a new kernel is released pacman usually has it the same day, kde and gnome updates take a little longer due to testing, it's only second to Slackware as being my favorite Linux distro, but personally I prefer FreeBSD on a laptop.

With the Linux distro's I have had on my Dell i8600 the longest battery life I have experienced is about 3 hours, thats with a custom kernel, all the pentium m/centrino stuff compiled in, I get over an extra hour of life with FreeBSD. With my extra battery I can sit and use my laptop for an 8 hour day without plugging it in.