[K12OSN] lightweight file manager?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Jan 14 21:35:45 UTC 2005

I don't think so; or at least I don't run it that way.  One of the
gee-that's-cool-but-not-everyone-liked-it features of Nautilus was its
ability/insistance on taking over the desktop.  I never cared for it mostly
because it was so slow and made everything else drop to a crawl also.  It has
since gotten much better, but it still requires a fair amount of horsepower.
There's the idesk project for creating desktop icons in lightweight window
managers. I haven't tried it yet, but hope to soon.  It might make for a good
alternative to Nautilus-with-Icewm for K12LTSP.

Petre