[K12OSN] lightweight file manager?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Jan 17 21:16:42 UTC 2005

This is a somewhat long-winded assessment of idesk:

I installed idesk and icewm on my Xandros (debian) laptop this past weekend.
idesk worked well with icewm, providing desktop icons for launching
applications, and both loaded quickly and don't seem to consume much memory.
idesk is similar to icewm in that everything is configured with some short text
files, which I ended up doing by hand.  There's a graphical config tool called
idesktool, but I couldn't make it work.  Curiosly, idesk is available in debian
unstable, but I couldn't find an rpm for it, while, conversely, idesktool is
available in rpm or source but not DEB.

The icons that idesk provides are just application launchers, similar to icewm's
toolbar.  They don't provide folders or drag-n-drop features, etc. And you can't
right-click on the desktop and create a new icon.  But, as part of my pursuit of
a quick system on lesser hardware, I did create a Home icon that calls xfe*, a
light and quick file manager, and it pops up instantly.  xfe doesn't show you
thumbnails of images like Nautilus, but it doesn't require anywhere near the
resources, either.  But it does give the user access to files, allows files to
be moved around, supports selecting/copying/moving multiple files at once
(unlike Rox, according to Robert A.), and allowing users to double-click on
files and have the correct app load the file.

So, idesk won't meet Les's requirement of icons including folders. And it
doesn't really offer anything that you can't do in IceWM itself--that is, the
icons just launch apps as does IceWM's toolbar and menu.  But it works well for
dressing up IceWM's spartan desktop without incurring the overhead that Nautilus
does.  If one is building an LTSP server on a shoestring, I think it adds enough
glitz to be worthwhile. It makes the desktop more akin to what users expect, for
a "cheap" price resource-wise.  I think it's pretty cool!

I'll try to get it installed on my home K12LTSP 4.2 server (which is broken at
the moment--don't ask) and then write some how-to's for the wiki, if anyone is
interested.

*Somebody was asking about a lightweight file manager last week; I had
recommended XWC, but xfe appears to be newer, is still being actively developed
(I think dev on XWC has stopped--but how much can one add to a file manager?)
and is available in rpm for Fedora releases.  They are similar in performance,
i.e., fast, and appearance.

Petre