[K12OSN] Linux in Education Info

Brian Beck Linux_Man at comcast.net
Wed Jan 19 01:11:09 UTC 2005

tuxnician at execulink.com wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I may be making a little progress with a Trustee about Linux but I would
> like to provide him with more information.  I realize that I may be
> repeating what has been posted before (my apologies) but I am looking for
> any info, presentations, experiences that can help him 'see the light'.
>
> I know that a couple people have discussed with their 'higher-ups' the
> value and benefits of using Linux and the LTSP in their schools and I
> would like to hear how they did it.
>
> I appreciate any info and help I can get so I can help get this project
> into our schools.
>
> Since a decision maker said no more Linux (even though the one Mac Lab is
> running OS10) the K12LTSP is being introduced to some schools as a pilot
> for the benefits of Open Source software (and some are only available on
> Linux!).
>
> One class in an elementary school running the K12LTSP and the teacher is
> very happy with it.
>
> Thanks everyone.

Money talks.  So does an actual demonstration.  After our Technology
Club set up a K12LTSP lab in my High School, we invited the
Superintendent to the grand opening, where he was shown how to use the
lab and some of the theories behind it, such as open source.  When we
told him that there were no software licensing fees for any of it (The
OS, OpenOffice, etc) he was amazed and later called a school board
meeting to show them the capabilities and the benefits.  Seeing as you
have a lab established already, take advantage of it.  Try to get the
Trustee(s) to come in and use the lab and see its benefits, and mention
the incredible cost savings over the Microsoft equivalents (I don't want
to think of how much 30 WinXP and Office licences cost).