[K12OSN] lightweight file manager?

Richard holtniurka at cantv.net
Wed Jan 19 03:54:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 January 2005 23:17, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> Kevin Squire wrote:
>
> >>I'm trying ROX at home BUT...
> >>You can't copy/paste more than 1 file at a time. Try
selecting a bunch
> >>of files with the mouse and right click to copy, it's greyed
out.

> >When you want to copy a bunch of file,
> >you can open a second ROX window (Right click, and choose
from the
> >windows option) then drag-n-drop.  You may have to
> >experiment once or twice to find the copy.  I have mine set
to when ever
> >I drag-n-drop it asks if I want to copy/move/link.  A
Ctrl-Drag will
> >always copy.
> >

> Your right drag/drop works with multiple files.  Thanks.
>
> BTW has anyone tried the new XFFM with XFCE 4.2. It's getting
very nice.
> There is even a GUI installer that compiles everything for
you. XFCE 4.2
> is great. It even has kiosk mode. I am happy with IceWM at
school but I
> use XFCE at home.

Interesting, your comments.

I really think that Xfce is getting it.  They did a great job
with the installer.  Works like a charm.  And the filer is
really making great headway.

However, as much as I keep trying to like and use Xfce,
I keep returning to IceWM for it's speed, simplicity, staying
out of my way, and just getting work done as much as I can,
along with Kde for it's apps plus Krusader 1.51+.

XWC has it's good points.  For a minimal setup, the old Midnight
Commander is probably the least resource intensive of all the
decent file managers.  But, there are many, many strong
opinions on file managers.  There really is nothing to do but
give some of them a try.

regards,
Richard.