[K12OSN] Eureka! Samba/LDAP is a piece of cake to set up now!

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 19:18:28 UTC 2005

 "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
> Friday, January 21, 2005 at 10:59 AM +0000 wrote:
> >Have you tested using it to bring in a second LDAP server into a network
> >that already has an operational LDAP setup?
>

> No and I must say that I had to completely rewrite my how-to last spring
> due to the migration from Samba 2.x to Samba 3.  In fact, I spent many
> weeks trying to "cross-reference" my old how-to for use in doing my new
> set up on Samba 3.  The schemas are quite different....
> Basically what I'm saying is that it may work for you, but it
> may also simply be more practical to switch everything over to Samba 3.

I have been putting off the migration since I can't afford to lose the existing accounts, especially mid-year.  I want to create a new LDAP/Samba 3 server and then 'just' move the LDAP database over.  Looks like a project for the early summer when I will have time to recover if something flakes.  Thanks for the script, it should make this alot simpler to do in any event.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins