[K12OSN] Eureka! Samba/LDAP is a piece of cake to set up now!

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Sat Jan 22 04:31:21 UTC 2005

dahopkins at comcast.net on Friday, January 21, 2005 at 2:18 PM +0000 wrote:
>I have been putting off the migration since I can't afford to lose the
>existing accounts, especially mid-year.  I want to create a new
>LDAP/Samba 3 server and then 'just' move the LDAP database over.  Looks
>like a project for the early summer when I will have time to recover if
>something flakes.  Thanks for the script, it should make this alot
>simpler to do in any event.
>
>Sincerely,
>Dave Hopkins

First,  agree....wait until summer or at least a vacation before tackling
a migration.  Second...depending on what your trying to save....it may be
as simple as moving the home dirs for safekeeping.  I had a crash earlier
this year (I did something stupid), but was able to recover nicely....I
tarred everything in /home  (tar preserves permissions)....moved it to
another machine....rebuilt the Samba/LDAP server....ran the create-users
script....put the backed up home directories back....and them ran the
create-users script again just to help make sure permissions were
OK.....and we were back in business.  I told everyone that their passwords
were reset to a default one and for them to change them ASAP....they did
and we lost no data.  I also managed to backup all the stuff worth keeping
in their Windows profiles as well.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School