[K12OSN] password protect web dirs with htaccess?

debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au
Sat Jan 22 09:57:34 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I want to password protect some directories in /var/www/html/ for staff only.
I've used .htaccess & .htpasswd files in the past using far-away host machines
and FTP but never on my own linux box on an intranet. And it's not working,
i.e. no pop up asking for a password, I can access the 'secure' directory.

I have the .htaccess file in /var/www/html/staffonly/ and the .htpasswd file in
/var/www/... is there something else I should know about the php.ini or other
apache setting to make this all work?

Thanks,

Debbie

(Back to school on Monday!!)