[K12OSN] Slow speed

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Jan 22 19:35:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 03:22, Bjørn Roger Rasmussen wrote:

> Before I began to run K12LTSP I used Skolelinux
> (http://www.skolelinux.no/). The users at the school liked that
> solution, but it was a night mare for me to maintain the network. I
> did not get any complaint about the speed when I run Skolelinux.
>
> Now with K12LTSP as system the people at the school are complaining
> about the speed. High response time when they shall start or use
> normally programs etc.

The default Gnome desktop in k12ltsp is a memory hog.  If adding
RAM doesn't help enough you could try switching to icewm on the
clients.  Some more detailed directions about reducing memory
use even more by removing the default nautilus browser from the
session have been posted here before.  The tradeoff is that you
lose desktop icons.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com