[K12OSN] icewm problem with fix suggestion

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Wed Jan 26 00:39:18 UTC 2005

The problem is the Session script in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/IceWM runs
icewm-session....which actually loads all sorts of things like icewmbg and
icewmtray.....which I've found to be useless.  I simply edited my Session
file (IceWM....see path above) to look like this....notice that
icewm-sessions is commented out....(near the very bottom)

#!/bin/bash

# initiate sound configs
if [ -f /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh ]
then
        . /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh
fi

# icewm configurations
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/icewm ]
then
        . /etc/sysconfig/icewm
fi

# use nautilus?
if [ "$ICEWM_USE_NAUTILUS" = "YES" ]
then
        /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
        /usr/bin/nautilus &
fi

# use session or just plain icewm?
if [ "$ICEWM_USE_SESSION" = "YES" ]
then
#       exec /usr/bin/icewm-session
        exec /usr/bin/icewm
else
        exec /usr/bin/icewm
fi

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tuesday, January 25, 2005 at 6:51 PM +0000 wrote:
>I use icewm exclusively on my server, but noticed since upgrading to
>K12LTSP 4.2, that icewmbg and icewmtray were using a lot of resources.
>Yesterday, I was running a load average of over 50, while the system
>crawled.  I fixed it by:
>
>chmod -x /usr/bin/icewmbg
>chmod -x /usr/bin/icewmtray
>
>This was by using the installed version:
>icewm-1.2.17-0.k12ltsp.0.4.2
>
>I noticed that icewm.org lists version 1.2.20 as current,
>and that these problems were fixed in 1.2.18pre1:
>
>Change Log <snip>
>1.2.18pre1: 2004-12-05:
>* disable SupportsSemitransparency by default, this makes icewmbg exit
>after setting the image and reduces memory usage
>* fix CPU waste in icewm-session and icewmtray
>see: http://www.icewm.org/changes.php
>
>Any chance of an update?
>
>Thanks,
>

>Patrick Healy