[K12OSN] Bondi Mac booting ltsp

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Thu Jan 27 15:27:45 UTC 2005

Chuck and Jim,

There's a much better solution to the problem, that doesn't require
hard-wiring a directory.

When a DHCP client sends a request, it sends a vendor-class-identifier,
so that the dhcp server knows something about the client.
PXE bootroms send 'PXEClient'.  Etherboot bootroms send 'Etherboot'.

Well, we just need to tell the dhclient in the ppc initrd to send
something unique, that we can identify it by.  Then, in dhcpd.conf, we
can have an entry like this:

 if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 8) = "PPC_LTSP" {
   option root-path "192.168.0.254:/opt/ltsp/ppc";
 }
 else{
   option root-path "192.168.0.254:/opt/ltsp/i386";
 }

That is, assuming we set the vendor-class-identifier to 'PPC_LTSP' in
the initrd.  it's WAY more flexible than having a sed script modify the
root-path that is returned.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org