[K12OSN] Bondi Mac booting ltsp

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Fri Jan 28 03:12:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> > Jim,
> >
> > With help from Chuck, i've been able to figure out the correct
> > string to check for, to set the correct root-path.
> >
> > I've written up my method on the LTSP wiki.  Take a look at this doc:
> >

> http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/DHCP#How_to_automatically_pass_the_c
> >
> > Jim McQuillan
> > jam at Ltsp.org
>
> Cool!  I think the if statement for loading the correct filename need to
> have an elseif added to it as well.  Instead of PXEboot or vmlinuz (I know
> that isn't the right names) the "ppc" vendor needs to load
> filename "yaboot".  I don't know the correct syntax to do a if, elseif, if
> statement since there will need to be three options to handle PXE.

not exactly..

when an LTSP workstation boots, there are 2 separate times that a DHCP
request is made.

First, when the bootrom sends a request.  in that case, we should be
looking for 'PXEClient', or 'Etherboot', or whatever the iMac sends.
At this point, we need to figure out which bootfile to send down.
Maybe the kernel, maybe the pxelinux bootloader, or maybe yaboot,
depending on the vendor-client-identifier sent by bootrom.

Then, a send DHCP request is made when the initrd has been loaded, and
the /linuxrc script is running.  That's when dhcpcd is running, and it
sends out a string, looking like 'Linux 2.4.24-ltsp-2 ppc'.
This is when we decide whether to send the root-path with
'/opt/ltsp/i386' or '/opt/ltsp/ppc'.

When I talked to Chuck, he said the macs don't figure out the filename
to load based on a dhcp response.  Instead, they are hardcoded to grab a
file called 'yaboot.conf', which contains the name of the kernel to
download.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org