[K12OSN] Get rid of my PCs

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Sat Jan 29 15:38:16 UTC 2005

A school near here just bought 250 thin clients from CDWG.  They are running
Wyse terminals (Wynterm 1200LE Thin Client).  I went there last week to see the
installation.  They are very small, very quiet - no noise at all - and work very
well.  The price is < $300 and that includes the keyboard and mouse.  That
school is re-using old monitors.

A lab of these terminal with LCD panels would be very attractive, not use much
electricity, and enjoy the stability and performance of K12LTSP.

You could "build your own" for less, but you would end up with a full size box
and your time is worth something.

These thin clients are small, inexpensive, and they will run and run and run.

Quoting David Trask <dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us>:

> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
> Friday, January 28, 2005 at 8:44 PM +0000 wrote:
> >My question for the list is: are there any opinions out there for Thin
> >Clients?  Personally, I like the Sun Ray 170
> >(http://www.sun.com/sunray/sunray170/index.xml).  I was told Sun may be
> >having a twofer sale in March.  I've been told Sun Server software for
> >these
> >thin clients can run off of Fedora Core 3 (I'm still working on that one).
> >
> >Opinions?
>
> Yeah...have you seen the price?  Over $1000!  You can buy an LTSP 150 from
> disklessworkstations.com  for $279!  Add a monitor for $225
> -$250...Keyboard and mouse for $20 and you're still WAY under $1000!
>
> David N. Trask
> Technology Teacher/Coordinator
> Vassalboro Community School
> dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us