[K12OSN] Managing identical logins...

Tom Lisjac netdxr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 23:46:35 UTC 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:49:26 -0800, Adam Melancon
<adammelancon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I work at a library and we don't use usernames, but rather I use the
> GDM Kiosk setup.
> I used this site as a guide (
> http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/GDMKiosKMode ), but quickly
> ran into some snags, so I wrote my own page on how I setup kiosk mode.
> http://www.vermilion.lib.la.us/sysadminsite/k12ltspkioskmode/

Thanks for the information!

I wish I had an option to use this approach.  The library system we're
building needs to offer a way for the kids to store their research...
so I'm trying to provide a reasonably secure way to associate their
class permissions with a given file share on our network.

For example, if the class domain login is "grade6", the home directory
would be grade6-ws2?? per the workstation name. The file server would
treat them all as grade6... but Mozilla and Openoffice would have a
unique home directory for each user to store their configuration data.
Like the kiosk system you described, the home directories would be
created then deleted for each user login.

I have a feeling I'm making this harder then it really is. All I need
to do is map a domain login name to a unique home directory name that
I create from the user and workstation names. Where to insert this
little bit of magic is the place where my bulb is a little dim! :)

Thanks,

-Tom