[K12OSN] Managing identical logins...

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Mon Jan 31 15:22:44 UTC 2005

A little more on this.  I use a spreadsheet to generate a userlist that I
can import using any one of a number of methods for adding users in bulk.
You can manipulate this same spreadsheet and do a mail merge to the
document with the screenshots on it.  Simply put a username field and a
password field on the appropriate "login screenshots" and run the mail
merge...then print out the login cards with each kids username and
password.  Sure beats writing them in!

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Monday, January 31, 2005 at 1:27 AM +0000 wrote:
>>I actually begin having kids log on in first grade.  We use a first
>>initial, last name scheme  (jsmith).....with the kids phone number as
>>their password.  This is a great thing...two-fold.....it helps the kids
>>login as well as learn their phone number (which is important).  What I
>do
>>to help is I print out "login cards".  They are 8.5 X 11 sheets with
>>screenshots of the login screen with their username and passwords filled
>>in.  The teacher hands out the login cards right before they come to the
>>lab....the kids take the cards to their terminal...sit down and log in
>>using the card to copy from.  Granted...in the beginning they need a
>>little help, but it's not long before they don't even bring the cards!
>>Works great and teaches at the same time!

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us