[K12OSN] Managing identical logins...

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Jan 31 15:36:34 UTC 2005

> A little more on this.  I use a spreadsheet to generate a
> userlist that I can import using any one of a number of
> methods for adding users in bulk.
> You can manipulate this same spreadsheet and do a mail merge
> to the document with the screenshots on it.  Simply put a
> username field and a password field on the appropriate "login
> screenshots" and run the mail merge...then print out the
> login cards with each kids username and password.  Sure beats
> writing them in!

I do the same thing (unfortunately in MS Access).  I give our admissions
department access to add families and students into the database, or
check students that are leaving.  Then I run a macro that runs a query
and exports a delimited file that is formatted for import with webadmin.
And when everyone is uploaded to the server I run a report that
generated these login sheets as well.  The sheets contain info on
accessing the websites, file folders (from every platform, and from
home), their new email address, how to access webmail, etc.  This is the
first year that we have done this and it works awesome.