[K12OSN] SquidGuard and Proxy Questions

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Jan 4 13:51:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 07:42, David Trask wrote:
> So your saying the K12LTSP box is also the gateway?  *me shivers*

Keep in mind that the k12ltsp server is running approximately the
same code but much more up-to-date than your SME server.  The only
thing that would make it much less secure is that by default all
users could log into a normal shell from outside via ssh where on
SME they get a non-working shell.

> Generally speaking (in my experience) if you're doing transparent proxying
> the proxy server needs to be at the "choke" point of the network....in
> other words right behind the router or acting as the router.

I think this is right, since the transparent redirector happens as a
routing step that isn't done on packets from the local box.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com