Re: [K12OSN] gigabit

Ascension Tech wrote:

Hey All,
I'm looking to upgrade our network to full gigabit (instead of just
the backbone).  Will i see a major boost in performance using gigabit
even with the pentuims and 486's?

Happy new year!
Peter

Negative. The clients don't benefit from anything beyond 100Mb.

What does matter is that your server has Gigabit or faster, and that the server's plugged into a Gig-E switch port. Matter of fact, if you have Gig-E NICs that support being ganged together in an EtherChannel link, you can put two or three Gig-E NICs in your server and actually support 30+ people running TuxType simultaneously. It's all about server bandwidth.

--TP
Do you GNU!? <http://www.gnu.org>