[K12OSN] Sound in 4.2 working

I installed K12LTSP 4.2 on a testserver today. I'm interested in the new
sound hack. But some things are unclear. Does the hack only apply to
esd? I edited /etc/sysconfig/k12ltsp and set hack to yes. Is there
something more to it?  I thought the hack was supposed to
put .esd/socket it /tmp. It didn't. Nor after a reboot of the server.

I then chose nasd as the sound system, and I got sound - also in flash
in firefox. So I suppose I'd leave it at that. It's just the feeling of
not understanding what's going on...

But it's working. Now how do I adjust the volume from the terminal? Kmix
did nothing, and gnome-volume-control complained about no sound server.
It would be great to be able to adjust my excellent sound as well :)

Regards

Trond Maehlum