Re: [K12OSN] printing quotas...I need a solution

Your best route might be to have your ltsp server or an old box running linux act as a print server for all computer systems, and then control the printing at the print server through samba. But getting quotas (usually it's called printer accounting) to work the way you want may be tricky. Google for 'printer accounting samba'. One good link I saw (good in that it explained the difficulty) was http://www.sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Misc/LPRng-3.6.13/LPRng-HOWTO-15.html

HTH
Petre

David Trask wrote:
I know this has been tossed around before so pardon me for bringing it up
again, but I need help.  My printing situation is out of control...I need
a solution not only for K12LTSP, but for the entire network...Windows, OS
X, and K12LTSP.  All of my printers are networked and we print via TCP/IP.
 I have a couple of Xerox Phaser 860DX's (color printers) and a bunch of
Ricoh AP3200's (nice workhorse laser printers).  All have built-in network
cards and they work great...my problem is that printing is on the rise and
spiraling out of control.  I'm at the point where I need to enforce quotas
per user.  An open-source or at least an inexpensive Linux solution is
preferred, but I'm open to almost anything.  Right now we print directly
to the printers with each printer as its own print server, but I'm open to
using CUPS or capturing printers with a server.  I've glanced at the
PyKota page and it looks a little daunting, but maybe some of you can tell
me otherwise.  I'm wide open to ideas....  It'd also be great if whatever
solution I end up with can integrate with my Samba/LDAP setup so I can
continue to use the "common" user regardless of server or program ie:  if
my username is jsmith and my password is booger on my current setup
(K12LTSP, Windows, etc.)...then I'd like to be able to have the same thing
for the printing solution as well....have the printing solution
authenticate to the Samba/LDAP server.  This is not a MUST...just a
desire.  Fire away!  Thanks!

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School