Re: [K12OSN] {Spam?} Opportunity

As to being brave and inviting someone from the audience to PXE boot their laptop, I'd advise against it unless you've done it successfully beforehand, because if it doesn't work, it will be embarrassing, as Calvin suggests.

Related anecdote: Years ago I worked at a company that made monitoring equipment and software used for quality control. One of our sales reps was making a pitch to the makers of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. At the meeting with the customer there were several people from the candy company including people in charge of producing and controlling quality for the candy. When you're making millions of something, even the slightest deviations can add up to substantial amounts of money. The sales rep showed them a case of the PB cups he'd gone out and purchased the night before, opened it up and took one of the PB cups and put it on a scale. It weighed exactly what it was supposed to. Anyway, the rep pulled out another PB cup, weighed it, and it too was right on target. So, the production people in the room were looking pretty smug. Then the rep pulled out another cup: ooh, it was a couple of milligrams over what it should have been. He pulls out another: it was several milligrams overweight, meaning the manufacturer is giving more candy than they thought. This went on for a few more cups, some overweight, some underweight. Then the rep pulled back the curtain: the night before he had gone through the whole box of candy and weighed all the PB cups and then put them back in the bo, glued it shut, such that he could test them "out of the box" exactly in the order that he wanted in order to get the maximum effect. He got the sale. The point is, like a trial lawyer, don't ask a question you don't already know the answer to. In a demo, don't try equipment unless you already know it works.

Petre

Calvin Park wrote:
My biggest bit of advice to you regarding any demo (and this may seem
obvious) is to do a complete run through or two prior to the real thing.
Make sure everything works in as close to the actual environment as you
can get it. I once sat in a demo where a nice guy put on a demo
concerning CUPS...when he hit the print button and was like "So, you see
it's a fairly easy process" (thats a paraphrase) the screen displayed an
error at him. He turned bright red and it took him 5-10 minutes to fix
it while we sat there (and some people left).

So, the best advice I could give is to be sure that everything works,
that you've done it a hundred times over. Obviously, in any demo, things
could go wrong. But if you've run through it in a fairly close
approxomation to what you're actually going to be doing, it helps.

-Calvin