Re: [K12OSN] Server vulnerable to attack

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

My server is vulnerable to attack. Any student can write a tiny program to allocate a ridiculously huge amount of memory. The server basically runs out of memory. The ulimit.sh script in the wiki works to prevent this situation under gnome but it fails to work for IceWM.

http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/limiting%20processes

Does anyone know how to make it work under IceWM? I'm using 3.1.2 (RH9)

Try this out.

Edit /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions

Right towards the top you should see this:

	# initiate sound configs
	if [ -f /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh ]
	then
	        . /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh
	fi

Change this to:

	# load profile
	if [ -f /etc/profile ]
	then
	        . /etc/profile.d
	fi

I *think* that will do the trick. Let us know if it works or not. If it works I should update the icewm packages...

-Eric