Re: [K12OSN] Sound continued...

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Trond [iso-8859-1] Mæhlum wrote:

This seems to be a hot topic these days. I also have sound now, I get
the best results with nasd. But I can't get mplayer to work with nasd.
There is no nas option in preferences. Some url about nas said that
mplayer had native support for nas, but it does not show as a possible
audio out. There is an esd option though, which works, kind of.

It works with mplayer, but not gmplayer...Can anyone help me with that
one? If I use the gui and choose the file It plays the first tone and
freezes. With mplayer from the command prompt it works fine.

In wine I cannot get any sound at all. Does anyone know of a trick
there?

If you are using nasd, you can try adding this to /etc/sysconfig/k12ltsp

AUDIOOSS_WINE_HACK="y"

I've never tried this, I have no idea if it works or not.

What exactly does the sound hack in 4.2 do? I thought it would keep
the /tmp/.esd/socket in place, it does not. I have just changed it from
no to yes. I have not run any scripts after that, should I have?

You mean "REMOTE_SOUND_HACKS=YES" in /etc/sysconfig/k12ltsp? Currently that only changes the behavior of esd, it preloads the libesd and libesddsp libraries (similar to how nasd preloads libaudiooss).

The /tmp/.esd/sock "hack" is set by adding this to /etc/sysconfig/k12ltsp

FLASH_SOUND_HACK=YES

It seems to me that most success stories with sound comes from using
nasd. I know that in Norwegian Skolelinux (Debian Woody) it works with
nasd, but it requires libaudiooss to use oss as the sound server with
nasd.

I have found libaudiooss and downloaded it, but make fails. Is there an
rpm somewhere?

libaduiooss should already be installed, it is part of the ltsp_esound_server package.

	$ locate libaudiooss
	/lib/libaudiooss.so.1
	/lib/libaudiooss.so.1.0

-Eric