[K12OSN] Server vulnerable to attack

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sat Jan 8 07:44:05 UTC 2005

Let's try this again, there was a typo in the first email...

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Eric Harrison wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>
>> My server is vulnerable to attack. Any student can write a tiny program to
>> allocate a ridiculously huge amount of memory. The server basically runs out
>> of memory. The ulimit.sh script in the wiki works to prevent this situation
>> under gnome but it fails to work for IceWM.
>>
>> http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/limiting%20processes
>>
>> Does anyone know how to make it work under IceWM? I'm using 3.1.2 (RH9)

Try this out.

Edit /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions

Right towards the top you should see this:

  	# initiate sound configs
  	if [ -f /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh ]
  	then
  	        . /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh
  	fi

Change this to:

  	# load profile
  	if [ -f /etc/profile ]
  	then
  	        . /etc/profile
  	fi

I *think* that will do the trick. Let us know if it works or not.
If it works I should update the icewm packages...

-Eric