Re: [K12OSN] Installing Java Anyone?

Well, there is the harder way, which I'll describe here for completeness, in case you ever need to manually upgrade your JVM. I've done it this way tens of times, and the benefit is that this basic method is transferable even to HP-USux and Slowaris.

Head on over to http://java.sun.com. Agree to their non-Free license (sorry, no more sainthood in the Church of Emacs) and download their package; I always download the generic .bin for any GNU/Linux distro. I find it much easier that way.

Make thyself root, make sure the execute bit's on (chmod +x NameOfTheJVM), and execute it. It'll ask you a few questions; the defaults are safe to take.

Once you're done, then head into the /usr/j2re1.4.2/plugin/ns610-gcc32 (this is for Sun's JRE v1.4.2), and you'll see a file called libjavaplugin_oji.so. Symlink this file to the /usr/local/mozilla/plugins directory; this, of course, assumes that you have Mozilla installed in /usr/local/mozilla. For Firefox, you'd symlink to /usr/local/firefox/plugins--again, assuming that this is where you installed Firefox.

BTW, for the new JRE 1.5, the directory name would be /usr/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7 to find libjavaplugin_oji.so.

In either case, make sure you're doing this with the GCC32-compiled plugin, if you're using Mozilla 1.4 or later--or any version at all of Firefox. The other one, the GCC29-compiled one, is needed for Moz 1.2 and really musty versions of Netscape (6.0 and previous, I think). It won't work at all on any version of Firefox (maybe Phoenix v0.4? :-) ).

Also note that your symlink can be whatever your little heart desires. I actually have two JRE versions symlinked due to apps like Cisco(No)Works 2000 that need a specific JVM. I name the symlinks appropriately so I can tell at a glance what they are. Here's my /usr/local/firefox/plugins directory. Note that they may be wrapped due to email line length restrictions.

terrell linux:/usr/local/firefox/plugins> ls -l
total 20
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 59 2004-11-16 10:55 libjavaplugin-jre142_oji.so -> /usr/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 53 2004-12-29 14:25 libjavaplugin-jre5001_oji.so -> /usr/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18840 2004-11-07 13:27 libnullplugin.so
terrell linux:/usr/local/firefox/plugins>

Now, to actually activate the JVM plugins:

Have folks close completely out of Mozilla or Firefox, whichever browser onto which you bestowed the symlink above, and restart said browser. In the URL field, type "about:plugins", and you should see your shiny new JVM listed.

HTH,

--TP

Ben May wrote:

and here i was going to do it alot harder than that :~)
Thanks Huck

Ben

Huck wrote:

using K12LTSP?
On the desktop when you login as root there is a folder called "Install additional software".
I opened this folder and double-clicked on the 'Get Java' icon and the rest was handled for me.

Not sure if that really helps much but worked for me.

--Huck

Ben May wrote:

hi everyone,
I am at the stage where i need to install java on my machines for various websites to work,
After trying this it is showing to be quite difficult. Has anyone done this before? whay should i download and how should i install?
Thanks,,

Ben May