[K12OSN] K12LTSP sits at the Grown-Up Table

Starting this weekend we will be showing the world, sort of, just how ready the LTSP, as packaged in the form of the K12LTSP, is for enterprise computing. You see, in organizing our fundraiser disguised as a conference

http://www.tposscon.com

I approached a venerable organization, the PTC, about promoting us. As it turns out, they really wanted to use Linux for the Email Garden this year. As a result, they have provide our volunteer group Sponsorship status for providing 30 clients. We pay nothing, we make nothing, but the PR seems special.

The kind of people who will be using them are

http://www.ptc.org/PTC05/sponsor/sponsor_list.html

Admittedly this is not the audience we all care about with respect to improving education. However, the awareness and the resources must come from somewhere, and we intend to plant seeds of change with the delegates. If one of these companies is from your state, perhaps this can ultimately lead to support of your respective community as they better appreciate the "value proposition" of Linux, OSS, and thin-client computing.

I of course invited Jim and Eric and Warren (fedora), but schedules do not permit. We will be printing out flyers, though, and I am eager to voice our collective words, if possible.

Using the K12ltsp and the LTSP logos, does anyone care to take a crack at creating a page for the flyer that would effectively communicate what we are all doing with Linux?

Technically speaking, we will be using 4.1.1. The list's own Steve Hargadon is loaning us the server to add redundancy to the loaned Sun amd64 box we have.

To Do

1. Each computer will auto login.
2. Each computer will have reduced icons
3. Each computer will have a web browser icon on the desktop, and we will set the default page to their Outlook Exchange Server.
4. We need to have some logos randomly appear as screen savers.

Is there any reason to believe, once I get started on these tweaks, that we will have trouble doing this with 4.1.1? Has anyone done this that will help?

I am starting with this information

http://www.brlug.net/pipermail/ltsp_brlug.net/2004-October/000014.html

http://www.litwiller.net/kiosk_browser/

http://k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/GDMKiosKMode

http://k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/AutoLogin

Your suggestions and help are needed. I am at your service in making this meaningful for all of us.

aloha

--scott

-- R. Scott Belford Founder/Director The Hawaii Open Source Education Foundation PO Box 392 Kailua, HI 96734 808.689.6518 phone/fax scott hosef org